Businesses throw support to keep fireworks alive

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Businesses throw support to keep fireworks alive

Posted in:
In-page image(s)
Body

It's an annual celebration that people refuse to lose during COVID-19. The Richmond community loves their fireworks, so several area businesses have offered financial support to keep the show alive.

The Chamber's fireworks display will take place Friday, June 26 at dusk. The fireworks will be shot from the usual location near the middle school campus. So far, $6,500 has been raised toward what is typically a $10,500 show, but Chamber President Felicia Farabee says donations are still rolling in.

"The rally began when the Chamber announced last month it was going to cancel the American Celebration this year. Our board made the decision for both financial and health safety reasons," said Farabee. "Since then, we've been approached by several businesses who said they would help us financially if that would help make the fireworks happen."

While the fireworks show will still take place, Farabee said all other activities that surrounds the American Celebration are still canceled. The Chamber wants families to celebrate on their own while still practicing the CDC's recommendation for social distancing and no large group gatherings.

"It makes me proud to see such an outpouring of support during these tough economic times," Farabee said. "The fireworks display will give everyone something positive to look forward to in the coming weeks. We need a little positivity in the world right now, and Richmond businesses are showing that."