Socialize

Facebook

Orrick students honoring veterans

Sixth grade students from Orrick have embarked on a project to hang photos of veterans and active military in a display at Orrick Community Center. The students, holding photos they’ve received, are, from left, Ella LaDue, Cheyenne Scharp and Sean Kephart. Scharp is holding a photo of her great-grandfather Cpl. Gerald Adams, and his wife. The photo in LaDue’s left hand is unidentified. The students would love to have identification of this soldier for their wall. Not pictured is group member Hunter Spear. (Photo by Liz Johnson/Richmond News)

By Liz Johnson, Staff Writer

A sixth grade Veterans Day project in Orrick has taken an unexpected turn into a journey of patriotic commitment for several students to bring the assignment out into the community as a way to honor local veterans.

Ella LaDue, Cheyenne Scharp, Sean Kephart are three of the four students leading the project.

The kids are students in Heather Wrisinger-Pugh’s class in Orrick. Pugh said the class project involved research of national, state and local memorials and understanding their importance.

“They also studied behavior norms when visiting memorials, understanding the importance of respecting the message that memorial conveys,” she said. The students also had a field trip to the Richmond Veterans building where they met with 15 veterans, who talked about their service.

“Each group presented their memorials to the veterans, which will remain at the building and personally thanked them for their service,” Pugh said.

LaDue’s group wanted to take the project a little bit further than the class assignment.

The complete story is in the Friday, December 8, 2017 Richmond News.

Click here for our E-edition and read the rest of the story.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login