Socialize

Facebook

Wentworth’s troubled past and uncertain future

One major donor who has kept Wentworth afloat identified; alumni association working to bring graduates together through website

Wentworth Military Academy & College will close May 31. Established in 1880, the 137-year-old school must close because of aging buildings, declining enrollment and increased expenses that have hindered the school from operating in the black. The Lexington City Council showed support for Wentworth students by seeking out ways to keep an educational venue in town. (Photo by Leah Wankum/Richmond News)

By Leah Wankum, Editor

The Class of 2018 at Wentworth Military Academy & College will not exist.

The military school closes its doors May 31, ending any further opportunities for students and employees affiliated with the 137-year-old facility.

If no other educational institution opens in Wentworth’s stead, students who want to continue their education will have to relocate to another academy or junior college. Employees will have to find work elsewhere.

“That is a sad given,” said Al McCormick, a cadet who graduated Wentworth in 1967 and who is now the treasurer of the alumni association for Wentworth graduates.

After the current semester ends, Wentworth’s board of trustees will work to pay off the academy’s debts and liquidate its assets, according to an April 7 letter to stakeholders from board chair Regis McDonald. Allan Hallquist, a Husch Blackwell attorney who is representing the Wentworth Military Academy’s Board of Trustees during the closure of the academy, said he was unsure exactly how much debt the school has and how long it would take to pay off that debt.

Click here for our E-edition and read the rest of the story.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login