Socialize

Facebook

‘It’s a fun time, not a competitive time’

Area women’s golf group says it’s more than just about playing golf

By Liz Johnson, Staff Writer

The women of the Shirkey Ladies Association have a passion for golf and a passion for caring for Shirkey Golf Course. The group plays first thing every Tuesday, weather permitting. Front row, from left are, Sharon Strickler, Nancy Gilbert, Jean Greenlee, and Jean Davault; back row, Renee and Hunter Fickess, Betty Riley, Sharon Moentmann, Denise Bowman and Clare Flamank. Not pictured are Irma Brown and Patty Wright. (Photo by Liz Johnson/Richmond News)

Amidst  tranquil, lush green setting, a local group of women ranging in age from 17 to 91, gather every Tuesday morning for a game of golf. Some of the ladies have been playing golf on Tuesdays for 47 years.

“We had around 50 women in the beginning,” said Jean Davault. “People were used to exercise then.”

Shirkey Golf Course, an 18-hole course, opened in 1969. The women’s group also began meeting in 1969. Now called the Shirkey Ladies Association, the gals were unanimous in their love of playing golf.

It’s not just about golf, however. The ladies also play bridge during the winter months and some of the members don’t golf – so they play bridge throughout the year.

Members are not just from Richmond either. “We’ve had a lot of women from Lexington,” said Betty Riley. Riley should know, as she, Davault and Nancy Gilbert have been with the group since 1969. Two additional members, who were unable to play this past Tuesday, but have been an integral part of the group for many years are Irma Brown and Patty Wright.

Gathering for an interview, game of golf and lunch on Tuesday was Davault, Riley, Gilbert, Jean Greenlee, Sharon Strickler, Sharon Moentmann, Denise Bowman, Clare Flamank and the two youngsters, Hunter Fickess, a senior at RHS and her sister, Renee, newly graduated from RHS.

“We’ve always played on Tuesdays,” said Gilbert. “At one time we had a Tuesday evening group, but now it is golf on Tuesday mornings.”

In the beginning, the women also took care of the men who played in the  golf tournaments. “At each tournament, the women cooked the food and served it,” said Davault.

The women’s involvement at the golf course is much more than golf or bridge on Tuesdays. They care about the facility and have been taking care of assorted clubhouse needs for years. The women recently paid for new carpet inside the clubhouse. The auxiliary also paid for the big Shirkey Golf Course sign out in front of the property.  The women buy and plant all of the flowers in planters around the property and clubhouse every year. The group was also responsible for outfitting and decorating the women’s locker room.

In the past, the auxiliary group has paid for the golf bags for Richmond High School’s girls golf team.

The complete story is in the Friday, July 1, 2016 Richmond News.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login