North Platte pulls away from Bearcats

The Orrick Bearcats spent much of their Thursday night battling from behind in the semifinals of the Bill Burns Classic at Lathrop. Orrick was never quite able to make up a double-digit deficit in the first half and dropped a 62-43 decision to North Platte.
The Bearcats, now 3-4, will take on St. Mary’s for third place Saturday at 5 p.m.
“We played very flat in the first half,” Orrick Coach Morgan Dickson said. “We had too much standing around and not enough playing. Our defense gave us a spark late in the third quarter, but mental errors, turnovers and just not hitting shots killed us in the fourth.”
Brandt Sanders hit a pair of 3-pointers in the first period to get the Panthers started as they grabbed a 12-8 lead.
North Platte stretched its advantage to 28-19 by halftime. Clayton Jones, who ended the night with 17 points to lead the Bearcats, hit for 7 of his night’s total in the second quarter.
North Platte continued to extend its lead throughout the third period, but the Bearcats were able to rally and get to within 3 points late in the quarter. The Panthers held off the Orrick charge and took a 45-37 lead into the game’s final 8 minutes.
North Platte pulled away in the fourth frame behind the effort of Tanner Catlett, who hit for 7 of his 10 points as the Panthers outscored Orrick 17-6. In addition to Catlett’s total, North Platte had two more players reach double digits. Cody Hays scored a game-high 18 points, while Sanders hit three buckets outside the 3-point arc to help him reach 16 points.
“North Platte is a solid team that shoots well,” Dickson said. “They hit some big shots in the fourth to put us away.”
Cameron McGlothlin hit for 9 points and Kalija Rogers added 8 points for Orrick in the second half. Also scoring for the Bearcats were Luke Searcy with 5, while Ty Griffin, Aaron Blyth and Justin Dickson chipped in 2 each.

Click here for our E-edition and read the rest of the story.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login