Quick recovery for Spartans

It wasn’t a very promising start Tuesday afternoon when Wellington-Napoleon’s Brett Williams deposited Trevor Nichols’ first pitch of the game to South Street beyond the left-field fence at Southview. However, the Spartan bats picked up the pace and Nichols shook off his rough start as Richmond won its second consecutive game 12-2.
Nichols gave up another round tripper to left just one out later followed by a walk, but then put the clamps on the Tiger bats the rest of the way. Wellington put just three more base runners on the paths in the next three innings and Branden Evans put the finishing touches on the afternoon as Richmond improved to 2-4.
Nichols gave up just two more singles and a walk over his next three innings. He ended the game giving up 4 walks with a half dozen strikeouts – 5 of those in the final three innings. Evans fanned 3 and gave up a walk in his lone inning on the hill.
After the rough start, the Richmond bats immediately came to the rescue as 15 Spartans came to the plate in the bottom of the first frame. As a result, an early 2-0 deficit was turned into a 10-2 Richmond lead.
Zach McGill opened the rally with a double, followed by a triple off the bat of Evans and a walk to Kyle Ash. Corey Adkison and Colby Bowles followed with back-to-back singles, ahead of a double from Josh Isgriggs and a walk to Kyle Carroll before the first out was ever recorded.
Jordan Smith and McGill kept the inning going with walks, followed by a double from Ash and a single from Adkison for a 10-2 Spartan lead.
Richmond added 2 more runs in the second as Carroll led off with a single and Caleb Benhardt reached on a double, with McGill pushing another run home when he grounded out to first.
The Spartans put two more runners on base in the third, but could not add any more to their total. However, they had more than enough runs to secure their second victory of the season.

Click here for our E-edition and read the rest of the story.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login