Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 9)

Cut to the Chase: ‘Clarifiying’ water rules worrying farmers

By Garrett Hawkins I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times Disney’s animated film “Frozen” has played in my home or in my car the…

Letter: Changing street names not the best answer

According to the street signs, there are not two Lisa Lanes in Richmond. There is a Lisa Street and a Lisa Lane street. The proposed resolution’s going to essentially change…

Grillers

Now that the barbecue grills are out and in full use, let’s get cooking. I had a request to grill some pineapple and these have an extra kick with the…

Account of soldier’s home brings it to life

A friend gave me the following story from a Nov. 10, 1927 newspaper, and after reading it I had to drive to Higginsville to visit the grave of the Col. Duvall…

Cut to the Chase: Growing sweet corn tougher than eating it

By Rebecca French Smith There are those of us who are of the persuasion that it’s never too early to start thinking about sweet corn. Why, it’s almost an ant-and-grasshopper…

Village Idiot: Can’t read today’s menus without Berlitz classes

By Jim Mullen I was in a restaurant the other day, and it hit me that except for the artisan hamburger — served with locally grown sweet potato fries on…

R-XVI board sets June 3 meeting to form steering committee for levy campaign

Richmond Board of Education has organized a meeting June 3 to form a steering committee for its August levy proposal. The meeting will be held in the Shirkey Golf Course…

Luckily, bumper caught the short hop

Kenneth and Mary Lou Leslie were headed west toward Kansas on I-70, bound for Cabella’s to look at boats. The couple was traveling around 65 mph when something loud hit…

Benefit volleyball tournament for girl, 6, hurt in mower accident

A benefit co-ed volleyball tournament will be held Saturday to help raise money for Izzy Smith, who was seriously injured in a mowing accident May 1. The 6-year-old has recently…

Postcards: Memorial Day celebrated with a Southern flavor in Higginsville

By Linda Emley I’m not an expert on the Civil War but I’ve spent the last 2 1/2 years working on the Battle of Albany re-enactment that is coming to…