Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 9)

Whirled Peas: I didn’t cash my chips on the Mayans, but at least the Vikings are still playing

Editor’s Note: Dennis Carlson, our roving correspondent in Doomsday Studies and NFL futility, has been on assignment recently in Denmark, Norway and the Twin Cities. Finally thawed out sufficiently to…

AG Dept.’s ‘Pet Friendly’ plates benefit local rescue

Thanks to the Missouri Dept of Agriculture’s “I’m Pet Friendly” license plate program, Karma’s Rescue has funds available to help you Ray-area residents spay or neuter cats before “kitten season”…

Focus on Agriculture: Farmers don’t quit, and it’s why we made lemonade on our farm when lemons came our way

By Jake Carter Change can be tough. Especially for farmers. I come from a long line of farmers who faced both ups and downs throughout the generations, but that’s par…

First Iwo Jima photo hit home; the second touched a national nerve

By Linda Emley Joe Rosenthal’s picture of the flag raising at Iwo Jima won the 1945 Pulitzer Prize for photography. It’s the only photo to win the same year it…

Saturday an ‘ideal’ day for annual chili dinner for shelter workshop

By David Knopf/Richmond News It’s 33 years since Ideal Industries held its first chili dinner – a year after the workshop opened in 1980. It was more of an open…

Guest Opinion: RX for health: Cleaner gas and vehicles

As pulmonary physicians, we see patients every day who struggle to breathe. Those experiences lead us to not only treat, but to advocate for our patients with lung disease.  We…

Jason: Turns out the prune has a plum of a name

By Jason Offutt There was something wrong with the package of dried fruit I plucked off the grocery store shelf. It looked normal enough; a yellow bag with purple writing…

Pat’s Pantry: Start with Canned Soup

By Pat Mills Cooking with soup today is easy and exciting with all the different kinds of canned soup available. Using soup helps you get a head start on all…

Postcards: Iwo Jimo flag-raising source of local pride

Editor’s note: Linda’s column is a lead-in to the World War II exhibit the Farris Friends Gallery will host March 7, 8 and 9. By Linda Emley Many of us…

From RHS with Love