UPICKEM BANNER

Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 9)

Jason: National networks need to dig deeper

By Jason Offutt If the national news has taught me anything, it’s not to bother watching it. From the shallow reporting of important events, to the pick-and-choose coverage (academics call…

Hughes-Wasson story murkier by the day

By Linda Emley Every day when the Ray County Museum is open, we have a member of the Ray County Genealogical Association volunteering in our library. We have a different person…

Tropical treasures

When we get together we sometimes pick a theme dinner.  We liked the tropical dishes the best, with lots of citrus flavors. – Pat Tropical island chicken ½ cup soy…

Jack Remembers: When the governor made a beeline here to quell MLK rioting

By Jack Hackley On April 9, 1968, I had a ringside seat to the historic Kansas City riots, caused by Martin Luther King’s assassination. I was in Bill Morris’ office,…

Thanks to Knoxville couple, shared beauty an annual rite

By David Knopf, News Editor Charlene Cassity deflects all praise for her husband’s bountiful flower beds back on the man who watches over them. “It’s all Charles,” she said. “He…

Jo’s Jottings: ‘Triple Divot’ tourney reason again to laud golf course’s impact

By Jo Ellen Dale Vacation bible school was being held at United Christian Presbyterian Church with the theme “Son Hawaiian Island”.  Going into the church is like entering an island…

Postcards: James Gang back for more Sept. 6 with bank robbery reenactment

By Linda Emley It’s that time of the year again. On Saturday, Sept. 6, Richmond is going to host its third annual “Outlaw Days.” We will be recreating the 1867…

Humane Society of Ray County: Flower’s offspring: Get ‘em while they’re kittens

From Gloria McFadden, Humane Society volunteer: “Recently arrived are Flower and her kittens.  Flower is a tortoise shell cat.  She is about a year old.  I petted her and picked…

Rabbit Tracks: Who was that masked ‘hospitalist’? The Lone Ranger? Superman?

Here is a new word for you.  the word is “hospitalist.” That is a doctor who is assigned to a hospital to look over the acute patients. I had a…

Jason: Not everyone in a cloak at Stonehedge is a Druid

By Jason Offutt Author’s note: In Spring 2013, I spent three and a half weeks teaching in the UK. This is one in an amazingly sporadic series exploring my time…