Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 88)

How I fell in love with my dream ‘UtoteM’ at a rural convenience store

By Kelley Snowden The Daily Yonder When I was a kid I was fascinated by what we now call “convenience stores,” little stores that sold everything from groceries to small…

Wood, Schnelle to wed

Mike and Shellie Schnelle of Grain Valley, formerly of Richmond, are happy to announce the engagement of their son, Joshua Schnelle, to Amy Wood, daughter of Mark and Susan Wood…

Swanwick tree becoming a holiday tradition

When visitors come to Richmond town square, they can take in the view of a beautiful tree on the west side of Ray County Courthouse. It was donated by the…

Our system of electing people wasn’t nearly as bad when patronage ruled

The elections are over, but as I write this all I know is I don’t like how campaigns are run. Where I grew up in Eastern Jackson County, politics was…

Recipes from the past

In conjunction with Linda Emley’s stories about Christmas and Ray County history, I would like to tie in some recipes from days gone by. When I read very old recipes,…

Church cookbooks another route to Ray County’s past

By Linda Emley Last Saturday, I attended the Richmond News Christmas party. When the whole News crew gets together, we are a diverse group that shares a common goal: “Keep…

Friends Gallery ‘Christmastime” art show and sale: Something for every taste, shopping list

By David Knopf, News Editor Marilyn Forlow is one of the artists with work displayed at the Friends Gallery “Christmastime” sale and show in the Farris Arts District. But Forlow…

Learning, visiting and encouraging all part of a week’s work in the county

By Jo Ellen Dale As I expected more Thanksgiving news is coming in.  Larry Brune writes that his sister, Susan, and Bruce Adams hosted a family get-together at their home. …

I’m thankful newspaper’s ‘Postcards’ series helps residents see their county in a new light

To the Editor: We all have so many things for which to be thankful – as Linda Emley pointed out in her beautiful “Postcards” article before Thanksgiving. One thing we…

Some good eats

Nothing better than these down-to-earth good eats. These finger-licking good BBQ ribs that are fall-off-the-bones tender. Crunchy potato mounds use up left-over mashed potatoes and who can resist a peanut…