UPICKEM BANNER

Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 84)

Cut to the Chase: Being ‘green’ not as hard as Kermit thinks

By Rebecca French Smith To quote a famous amphibian, “It ain’t easy being green.” But being “green” in today’s society should be easier than ever with all the products and…

Feb. 8 deadline approaching for Missouri Corn Growers college scholarships

Agriculture students throughout Missouri have just over two weeks to complete their application for the 2013 Missouri Corn Scholarship Program. High school and college students interested in a career in…

Pat’s Pantry: Meat ‘n’ Potatoes

Ask a farmer or anyone from the country and they will tell you that a hearty meal is meat ‘n’ potatoes. Plain and simple, these recipes are all hearty and…

Newspapers of days past, even the ads, are a window into our community’s soul

By Linda Emley The year was 1917 and a new machine was changing the way Ray County farmers took care of business. This was in The Richmond Missourian May 17,…

Elderly targets of Property Tax Credit scams

The Missouri Department of Revenue is cautioning all seniors and disabled Missourians to be aware of possible scams involving the filing of a Property Tax Credit claim. Scams involving the…

Ray family has ties to Inaugural Ball Pow Wow

A Native-American family with deep roots in Orrick will serve as central organizers of the American Indian Inaugural Ball Pow Wow Jan. 19 in the Washington, D.C. area. Preston E.…

Photographer zooms in on adding color

By JoEllen Black, Publisher Go down the basement stairs at her sister Tiffany’s house in Orrick, and the entrance is a non-descript hallway. The space gives no indication that it’s…

Changes in the weather prove what they say about our state

By Jo Ellen Dale At last, a good rain.  It has washed away much of the snow and ice, but I really believe that the huge mounds around the square…

Mother lode of Alexander Doniphan stories discovered in Liberty

By Linda Emley I had a friend tell me they heard a story about Alexander Doniphan getting married in his later years. I was excited to hear this because I…

Award-winning Canadian trio performs tonight at LIVE! in Lexington

Three multi-talented young fiddlers take the stage tonight in the third series of concerts presented by LIVE! in Lexington.  The Abrams Brothers are fourth generation musicians with musical roots back…