UPICKEM BANNER

Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 82)

Chili and pies make the grade in contest

By JoEllen Black/Richmond News Jean Stonner had a good feeling when she was rolling out her pie crust the night before a pie-baking contest. She thought she might have a…

Nace Brothers play to appreciative audience

Warrensburg natives Jimmy Nace (the guitarist above) and brother Steve showed their musical diversity at a Saturday night’s concert at the Farris Theatre. The band played its own well-received version…

Pat’s Pantry: My love of lemons

By Pat Mills When I ran across a recipe book with lots of lemon baked goods, I couldn’t resist passing them on. I wish I could print pictures, because you…

Postcards: Bess’s pillow brings back the best memories

By Linda Emley When I walk the halls of the Ray County Museum, I often think about the story behind the treasures I see. I’ve collected antiques for many years,…

I can’t forget Pearl Harbor, Bataan

By Jack Hartley I have received several responses on past articles.  My friend Weldon Woodward from Levasy said my column on the ex-mayor who drove from Oak Grove to Grain…

Shrine Club chili cook-off Saturday

Richmond Shrine Club hosts a CASI (Chili Appreciation Society International) chili cook-off Saturday at the Shrine Club, 400 Wollard Blvd. Doors open for the inside event at 7 a.m. Cooking…

Jo’s Jottings: Hardship for some cause for celebration for others, as blizzard brings drought relief

By Jo Ellen Dale In spite of the condition of some of the roads, a group of ladies from Richmond journeyed to Excelsior Springs to attend the Slightly Off Broadway…

Postcards: In 1945, war overshadowed Easter, but not power of faith

By Linda Emley In 1945, Easter Sunday was on the first day of April. I got out the Richmond Missourian newspaper and looked up what was happening in Richmond for…

‘Waste not, want not’ forgotten advice as farmers look to meet increased demand

By Robert Giblin Up until recent times, the weekly ritual of planning meals played itself out in homes across the country. Meals were painstakingly thought out. Moms clipped coupons from…

Newspapers in Education: How our local paper connects me with home

By Ethan Colbert As a college student, anything that connects me back home is worth its weight in gold. While at college, I am living over 150 miles away from…