UPICKEM BANNER

Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 8)

Guest column: Former homeless woman, mother, uses her own experiences to motivate others facing challenges

At 8 months, Karlene Richardson, a Jamaican, was given over to her grandparents by her 18-year-old mother. Fifteen years later, she yearned to live with her mother, who had migrated…

Letter: Ray County Museum a gem, visitor writes

To the Editor During a recent visit to Richmond, my 12-year-old son and I had the pleasure of visiting the Ray County Museum. In fact, we visited twice during our…

Ray County Humane Society: Box-trained, family-friendly kittens ready for homes

This week’s message from Humane Society volunteer Gloria McFadden on kittens looking for their homes: “We have six adorable kittens from two different mothers.  The kittens were born mid- to…

Awards cap Ray County Library’s summer reading programs

Summer reading programs for children age 3-18 from June 1 thru July 31. The library sets reading challenges based on the child’s age/grade and offers many incentives along the way,…

Jack: Mean sergeant’s fall was swift, complete and very popular

By Jack Hackley Near the end of the Korean War, the United States government was drafting 60,000 men per month and was down to the 19-year-olds. One month, that 60,000…

Jo’s Jottings: Ladies invitational, Orrick Quarterback Club tournaments draw big fields

By Jo Ellen Dale Jerry Lester writes that he met his brother’s eldest son and family at Blue Springs for lunch last Sunday.  They had driven from New Jersey on…

The Woodson Institute dream fell short, but memories still strong

By Linda Emley When I look at this picture, it’s hard to believe this majestic building was in Richmond. I can’t imagine what it would be like to drive down…

On government: We can all agree government’s broken; but what can we do to repair it?

By Lee Hamilton By Lee H. Hamilton As election season approaches, I’ve been pondering a crucial issue about the role of government in our society. It’s that our government often…

Jason: Some handy tips on picking the very best candidate

By Jason Offutt (Editor’s note: With the primaries over and the November mid-term election bearing down on us, it’s time to pick up some tips from Jason. He’s an expert…

Pat’s Pantry: Summer bounty

By Pat Mills All the fresh vegetables you could want are in season right now.  Let take advantage and start cooking them up. – Pat Squash and pepper skillet 1…