Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 7)

Ragtime, boogie-woogie virtuoso visits Farris March 22

By Sara Seidel Special to the Richmond News One of the world’s foremost ragtime/boogie-woogie pianists is bringing his talents to the historic Farris Theatre this month. Bob Milne, who’s been…

Jo’s Jottings: Two locals back from train trip and cruise to California, Mexico

By Jo Ellen Dale Pat Macey and Wilma Carter recently visited Anaheim, Calif. to celebrate the 80th birthday of Wilma’s niece, Barbara Carter.  Wilma, Pat and Barbara went on a…

New Georgia gun law: From a retired soldier’s view, bill goes too far in where guns can be carried – and who can carry them

By Brigitte Joyce If you’re like me, you’ve flown out of Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. Georgia has played host to the world’s busiest passenger airport for 15 straight years. With planned…

Congressman’s view: When it comes to the right steps, ‘Be like Ike’ always guides me

By Rep. Emanuel Cleaver On January 7, I had surgery on an earlier left knee replacement. Recovery is always slow and painfully difficult. I ought to know, I have had…

Richmond Animal Control adoptable pets

SOME OF THE PETS AVAILABLE for adoption at Richmond Animal Shelter: April – 6-to-8-month-old female shepherd mix; Bucky – 2-year-old male shepherd mix; Sweat Pea – 1-year-old female black lab;…

Ray County Humane Society: Sweetie, Ashes new adoptable pets

The Humane Society of Ray County has a selection of adoptable cats and dogs at its shelter. Adoption days are Saturdays and Sundays from 1-3 p.m. at 200 S. College…

What’s in a word (hippology)? Horse knowledge

Several Ray County 4-H members competed in the Regional Horse Bowl Competition in February. Teams compete at the regional level in order to qualify for the state competition, which will…

No getting away from death and taxes in Ray County, now or in 1920

By Linda Emley It’s 10 p.m. and I’m looking for a story. It needs to be historical and mildly entertaining, but most of all it must be about Ray County.…

Jason: A truism to live by: A pizza’s temperature equals the hypoteneuse times, oh, whatever

By Jason Offutt Frost covered the windows of my 1992 Toyota pickup. I could see that through the front window. Being an early 21st Century man, I went to my…

Whirled Peas: Is our language hiding from the NSA?

By Dennis Carlson Recently a lot has been said in the news media about spying. The NSA spies on us, Edward Snowden tells everybody else about it, and Santa knows…