Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 68)

Jo’s Jottings: Events marking the holidays begin, meaning the time is near

By Jo Ellen Dale A Stoenner family reunion was held in Branson with Jim and Dina Stoenner from Mt. Horeb, Wis., Jessamine and Jack Layman from Independence, and Billie Hamann…

Late soybeans were all Mama really wanted

By Estil Fretwell and Margaret Fretwell Missouri Farm Bureau While going through some old family papers, I came across a short story written 40 years ago by my mom, Margaret.…

Deciding on fall vs. spring nitrogen applications

By Wayne Flanary Regional Agronomist, Missouri Extension Highway 36 is a line at which we do not recommend fall nitrogen applications southward across the state. This is just a guideline…

Crop Progress Report: Tillage, harvest progress through dry weather

Agricultural Summary Dry conditions allowed planting, tillage and harvest progress to continue.  There were 5.6 days suitable for fieldwork. Topsoil moisture supply was 4 percent very short, 19 percent short,…

Richmond’s square a different place before and after JFK was killed

By Linda Emley This postcard shows what downtown Richmond looked like in the 1960s. One of the most memorable events from that era happened 50 years ago on Nov. 22,…

Letter to the Editor: Common Core imposed without local input

Dear Editor, I am growing deeply concerned about a real threat that is encroaching the hallowed halls of the schools in our state. The threat has a name: Common Core.…

Jason: Men, it’s time to go out there and be one

By Jason Offutt The car on the side of the street sat on a flat tire. Two guys standing at the trunk were having a hard time figuring out how…

Pat’s Pantry: Thanksgiving Dishes

By Pat Mills No holiday dinner is complete without the traditional side dishes of green bean casserole, noodles and rolls. I only get scalloped oysters once a year, and it’s…

Postcards:

By Linda Emley History doesn’t have to be some big event that happened 100 years ago. That’s because it is any moment in time that has already happened. The great…

Orrick School salutes veterans with music