Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 67)

Postcards: Jesse with a pup in his arms offers fresh look

By Linda Emley Since our 2nd annual Outlaw Days is coming up Sept. 21, I thought it would a good time to rerun this story about Jesse James. I enjoyed…

Letter: Introducing this year’s Wall of Honor honorees, events

To the Editor: The Richmond Education Foundation is pleased to announce that the Wall of Honor committee has selected two individuals for the Richmond R-XVI Wall of Honor. The 2013…

A ‘FENCE STILE’ MAKES GOOD NEIGHBORS, INSPIRES A WINERY

By David Knopf, News Editor There’s a tradition in England where properties separated by walls or fences are connected by a v-shaped, double ladder. They’re called fence stiles, structures that…

Jo’s Jottings: Impression left by a good teacher never seems to fade

By Jo Ellen Dale Dixie Swafford and Suzanne Mansell recently visited with former teacher and counselor  Rebecca Crouch at John Knox Village.  They said that Rebecca was one of their…

Jack Remembers: Story about supplying the Jameses with fresh horses sounded very familiar

By Jack HackleyOne of my favorite family stories is of my great-grandfather selling horses to the James Gang, which I printed a few weeks ago. Lo and behold, I got…

NASS Crop Progress Report: Combination of heat, lack of rain cause crop conditions to decline across the state

Through Sept. 3 Agricultural Summary Above average temperatures and little precipitation across the state resulted in declining conditions for all crops.  There were 6.7 days suitable for fieldwork. Topsoil moisture…

Postcards: At least the senator acted surprised when Eagleton was named for him

By Linda Emley On Friday, April 18, 1980, the Thomas F. Eagleton Civic Center was dedicated. I was there, but I wasn’t really paying attention because I was a 23-year-old…

In U.K., making, drinking tea sacred art

By Jason Offutt Americans love tea. Just don’t say this in front of someone from the U.K. or you may receive a sound scolding. We consume 1.42 million pounds of…

Postcards: Eagleton Center a home away from home

By Linda Emley I think by now everyone knows I work at the Ray County Museum. I spend many hours sitting in my officee as I work on my laptop…

Pat’s Pantry: Cook’s Specialties

Having a get together or just having a family dinner? Kabobs from the grill and a cold bean salad on the side on these hot summer days can’t be beat.…