Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 3)

Hunting morels: Thanks to the small number of us who feed the rest, there’s more time for noble pursuits

By Rebecca French Smith I have worn glasses since the sixth grade. That said, even with corrected sight I find the Missouri morel an extremely elusive variety of mushroom to…

Working as one to keep our farms healthy

By Rep. Emanuel Cleaver Finally, a farm bill! This is a leading line that says so much here in Missouri’s Fifth District. And it says a lot in Washington, as…

The latest additions to shelter pets available for adoption

From Gloria, a Humane Society volunteer who photographs and sends descriptions of adoptable pets: “Mattie is a beautiful young female Cocker Spaniel.  She is about 2 or 3 years old…

Richmond’s John Testrake brought a sense of pride to his hometown

By Linda Emley Editor’s note: This story ran originallty in 2012. The author is using it as a lead in to Monday’s story about the fallen soldier display coming to…

‘Greasers’ and other notables entertain sold-out Farris

By JoEllen Black/Richmond News Coordinators of Saturday’s Farris fundraiser, Dancing Through the Movies, were hoping for a good turnout, but even they had to be a bit surprised with the…

Festival fun(gus) and games

A call for entries for the Mushroom Festival cover contest, fine arts show and Little Mr. and Miss Mushroom contest   The blades of grass are turning green, a call…

‘Star-studded’ FUNdraiser to bring movies back to Farris

By Sara Seidel/For The Richmond News A cast of local “stars” will shimmer and shine Saturday at the Farris Theatre when they take the stage to help the historic venue…

Letter: Adding details to Order #11, Bingham art

To the Editor: As a scholar who studies the art of George Caleb Bingham I very much enjoyed reading the lively article on the painting “Gen. Order No. 11” that…

Jack Remembers: Double-edged science experiment: Cat paid the price and Jack learned a lesson

By Jack Hackley My parents were married in December of 1928. They had no money and would go through the Depression and a drought. Both of my folks’ brothers and…

Jo’s Jottings: Service clubs offer programs on use tax, aid to families hurt by sex abuse

By Jo Ellen Dale I hear thunder rumbling in the distance so I will try to jot a few lines before I feel that I should turn off my computer.…