UPICKEM BANNER

Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 3)

Postcards: After a few years of planning, Battle of Albany event near

By Linda Emley On Aug. 28, 2011, I sent the following email to Ray County Historical Society board members. “Darryl  Levings from The Kansas City Star was in Lexington a…

Missouri Bar honors Werner Moentmann, retired circuit judge

Werner Moentmann, the retired Ray County circuit judge is among more than 100 attorneys honored earlier this month as “Senior Counselors” of The Missouri Bar. The “Senior Counselor” title is…

Jack Remembers: Call it what you will, Aunt Bessie knew how to find it

By Jack Hackley My mother’s grandfather settled about three miles north and east of Oak Grove in Lafayette County in about 1850.  He was a tenant farmer, as was my…

No one’s in the jailhouse now: Polo’s historic 1870 calaboose is worth a visit, but it’s no place you’d want to stay

Jo’s Jottings: Breath-taking trip to Northwest Coast included natural, man-made wonders

By Jo Ellen Dale The Raders write that they have just returned from an eight-day trip to the Northwest coast with their son Kent from Liberty and son and daughter-in-law…

Jason: Our first microwave might’ve helped deliver a baby, but cooking? Forget it

By Jason Offutt I don’t remember my family’s first color television set, I don’t remember our first eight-track tape player and I don’t remember our first touch-tone telephone. I do…

Amendment I recount results, supporters’ comments

Secretary of State Jason Kander Missouri Secretary of State Jason Kander released the certified results Monday of the statewide recount of Constitutional Amendment 1, which appeared on Missouri’s  Aug. 5…

Ray County, state recounts uphold passage of Amendment I, the so-called ‘Right to Farm’ act

A recount for Missouri Amendment 1, known as Right to Farm, has confirmed its passage. Secretary of State Jason Kander certified the recount Monday, with 499,963 Missourians voting in favor…

Pat’s Pantry: Always a comfort

By Pat Mills After a rough day at work or at home, it’s always a comfort to sit down to a good dinner of meatloaf and mashed potatoes. This is…

Postcards: A Mason, once the ‘Man with no Name,’ may be identified

By Linda Emley In 2012, I wrote the following story about a man who once lived in Richmond. I traveled down a long path looking for this “man with no…