UPICKEM BANNER

Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 131)

City rallied for Christmas needy

By Linda Emley A few days ago, I spent several hours reading over the stories in the 1956 Richmond News looking for that one special story about Christmas. I chose…

Cookies for Santa

Ever wonder how many different cookies Santa eats on Christmas Eve?  In our house he will have several to choose from. Our table will host some nutmeg cookie logs, caramel…

WW II didn’t quite turn out the way uncle predicted

By Jack Hackley Every time Dec. 7 rolls around, I can’t help but remember where I was when the “Japs” bombed Pearl Harbor. It was Sunday, and my mother, sister…

Friday’s ‘God Squad’ dinner-show benefits the senior center

By Jo Ellen Dale Well readers, I did it again.  In last week’s story about four generations performing at the P.E.O. luncheon, it was Taylor Farnan not Hilliary.  My apologies…

‘Adder in the Path’: By blending historical fact and the fictional tale of two families, author’s first novel tells the story of the Mormon War

William R. Jensen, author of a new novel about the Mormon War, said he did enough research to write a traditional work of history. But Jensen wanted to avoid a…

Merchants quickly relocated after December 1923 fire razed a block

By Linda Emley The year was 1923 and Calvin Coolidge was President. On Feb. 16, 1923, Howard Carter opened the door of King Tut’s tomb for the first time and…

Correction: Fundraising dinner-show for Senior Center is Friday evening

Whoops! The phones have been ringing at the Eagleton Center thanks to an error we made in yesterday’s paper. The Hee Haw-styled dinner and show with the God Squad starts…

Letter from Rabbit to a friend

You and I are interested in words. I have always wondered why people who speak different languages seem to excel in different fields of knowledge.  The Germans seemed to excel…

Pat’s Pantry: Sugar and spice and oh so nice!

By Pat Mills Looking for that little something to give to your mail carrier, next-door neighbor or someone who just deserves a little treat this Christmas? How about a bag…

Dear Santa: If you have boyfriends for my sisters, they’d like it

By Linda Emley There have been many letters to Santa in the Richmond News over the years and I thought it would be nice to share a few. “Dear Santa…