UPICKEM BANNER

Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 119)

Howard would be thrilled with what’s become of the festival

By Jo Ellen Dale The Mushroom Festival’s over now, but all the planning that went into it deserves a look back and a pat on the back. At the regular…

Fifth grade field trip: Putting the life back in history

By David Knopf/News Editor There’s nothing sleepy about history, at least the way Hal Middleton and Karen Joiner tell it. Middleton, a former eighth-grade history teacher, and Joiner, a volunteer…

Richmond FFA brings home state honors

The Richmond FFA Chapter had a very strong showing at state contests this year. The Soil Evaluation team followed up its district championship performance with a strong effort, finishing 10th…

Poor dogs just needed a middle man

By Jack Hartley I used to live north of I-70 on Gillespie Road, which was a favorite dump site. Not only did they dump trash, but dogs and cats. I…

Heisinger Lake a place Jesse James would never forget

By Linda Emley In 1937, the University of Missouri published a book titled, “Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri,” by Anne Elizabeth Atchison. It has a list…

Vegetable salads

Here are some marvelous make-ahead salads that are great for picnics and barbecues. Crunchy and raw or cooked, vegetables in a salad are a wonderful way to get your daily…

After all these years, morels still king

By Linda Emley Like all good Ray Countians, I have been hunting mushrooms all my life. I don’t remember life without the spring ritual of walking the woods while looking…

As a family, Endsleys had the yen for adventure

By Linda Emley After researching Nimrod Hunter Endsley’s adventure, I think I bragged on him too soon. His experience in Louisiana in 1891 was not enough to keep him in…

Hardin MU student among 2012 Corn Growers scholarship winners

The Missouri Corn Scholarship Committee has awarded a 2012 Missouri Corn Scholarship to Brianne McGuire of Hardin. McGuire will receive a $750 scholarship from the Missouri Corn Growers Association and…

City-wide cleanup tidys the stage for weekend festival

By Jo Ellen Dale I am enjoying the beautiful flowers and lush green foliage this year. My Paul Scarlet rose hasn’t looked  as full blown in years. The iris as…