UPICKEM BANNER

Socialize

Facebook
Home » Archives by category » Community (Page 115)

Turkey Season: A big prize

Comings, goings and an ambitious trip through the South

By Jo Ellen Dale Recently Ileen Downing’s sister-in-law, Beverly O’Brien from Roeland Park, Kan. was her guest for two weeks. They enjoyed catching up. *** At the regular meeting of…

Pat’s Pantry: Popeye the Sailor Man’s favorite food

By Pat Mills Spinach was introduced in the 10th Century. In 1533, Catherine, queen of France, fancied spinach so much that she insisted it be served at every meal. The…

One vote kept Elks from being Moose

By Linda Emley Many of us remember the “Women’s Club” building and now we know it was the “Elks Lodge” before the women took over. But we have to wonder…

Masonic Lodge’s popular MoChip event fills courthouse lobby

The Ray County Courthouse lobby was filled Saturday with parents, kids and volunteers, all with the same goal – making children safer. The Masonic Children’s Foundation Missouri Child Identification &…

Howard would be thrilled with what’s become of the festival

By Jo Ellen Dale The Mushroom Festival’s over now, but all the planning that went into it deserves a look back and a pat on the back. At the regular…

Fifth grade field trip: Putting the life back in history

By David Knopf/News Editor There’s nothing sleepy about history, at least the way Hal Middleton and Karen Joiner tell it. Middleton, a former eighth-grade history teacher, and Joiner, a volunteer…

Richmond FFA brings home state honors

The Richmond FFA Chapter had a very strong showing at state contests this year. The Soil Evaluation team followed up its district championship performance with a strong effort, finishing 10th…

Poor dogs just needed a middle man

By Jack Hartley I used to live north of I-70 on Gillespie Road, which was a favorite dump site. Not only did they dump trash, but dogs and cats. I…

Heisinger Lake a place Jesse James would never forget

By Linda Emley In 1937, the University of Missouri published a book titled, “Place Names Of Five West Central Counties Of Missouri,” by Anne Elizabeth Atchison. It has a list…