Socialize

Facebook

Mom, son died of smoke inhalation, initial report says

By David Knopf/Richmond News

A final report from the state fire marshal may take three or four weeks, but preliminary indications are that a mother and son who died in a Sunday morning apartment fire died of smoke inhalation.

Richmond Police Sgt. Scott Bagley and a representative from the fire marshal’s office were present Tuesday for autopsies conducted on Chad Evans, 17, and his mother, Nichole Hood, 39.

A relative said that Hood had gone by Nichole rather than Tanya, the first name reported by law enforcement. Monday’s Richmond News used her first name and, due to a typographical error, had an incorrect age for her.

“We’re currently waiting on the final medical examiner’s report, but the preliminary rules it accidental, (from) smoke inhalation,” Bagley said Wednesday. “We think it was either smoking or a candle” that started the fire, “but we won’t have a final report for three or four weeks.”

Click here for our E-edition and read the rest of the story.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login