- Legal Notices
- Subscription Rates
- Photo Gallery
- Hall of Fame
- Mushroom Festival
By David Knopf/Richmond News
A mother and son died early Sunday in an apartment fire on West Franklin Street in Richmond.
Fire, police and ambulance personnel responded to the 100 block of West Franklin at 8:40 a.m., and on entry discovered the bodies of Tonya Hood, 29, and her son, Chad Evans, 17.
Mark Sowder, Richmond’s assistant fire chief, said only a minor fire was still burning when firefighters entered. The apartment, located on the first floor in a building that once housed Signs and Wonders, a sign-making business, was filled with smoke Sowder described as already having “gone cold.”
The cooler smoke meant the fire likely started sometime overnight and was largely extinguished when firefighters arrived, Sowder said.