To the Editor:
As you may know, I am an anti-war person and have worn a peace symbol on my hat since 1967.
Here are a few of my thoughts on the proposal to “punish” Assad of Syria:
• Winston Churchill once said that the first casualty of war is the truth.
• Ernest Hemingway said, “In modern war, you die like a dog for no good reason.”
• What about “collateral damage”? How many innocent civilians in Syria will be killed by our Tomahawk missiles in order to “punish” Assad?
• If you cannot use chemical weapons against your enemies or against your own people, then what good are they? Therefore, why do WE still have thousands of chemical weapons stored in bunkers in Colorado and Kentucky?
• Here’s an idea for dealing with Syria, why don’t we try some gunboat diplomacy and saber rattling? How about catapulting some decaying cow carcasses over the walls of Assad’s presidential palace?
• .The president should not have the sole power to declare wars. What if we elected a real nut case into office? Come to think about it, we have already done that a number of times.
– Robert Smith, RHS Class of 1957