- Legal Notices
- Mushroom Festival
- Photo Gallery
A Henrietta woman has lost her life in a fire that destroyed her home Thursday night.
Joyce D. Lane, 50, died at the scene after rescuers pulled her from the house.
Henrietta Police Officer George O’Dell was the first to reach the scene about 7:30 p.m. He said he went to the back door of the residence and was able to get through the door. He said once he stepped inside the residence he was overcome with smoke.
“It was so thick it about knocked me out,” O’Dell said. “I couldn’t get in.”
O’Dell said he then went around to the front of the house and was unsuccessful in kicking the door in. He said he then began breaking windows on the east side of the house when firefighters arrived.
Smoke poured from the back and side of the house as emergency workers asked onlookers to step back for safety. A minute later a large puff of fire jumped out through the windows of the house, giving some firefighters a brief shower of sparks.
Richmond firefighters fought off smoke and flames outside while others attempted to search the house for the resident.
Photo: Richmond firefighters work to contain a fire near Fifth Street and Elm Street in Henrietta Thursday night. (Photo by Dennis Sharkey/The Daily News)